The specified documents for a family visa depend on the visa you are applying for. These documents are as follows for the most common family visas:

Spouse, unmarried partner, and civil partner visa

For family based visas there are ‘specified documents’ which must be provided, or else your visa will likely be refused. These include:

  • Financial documents, such as payslips, bank statements, letter from your employer, declaration as to the source of savings
  • Marriage certificate, if applicable

In addition, the following documents are also likely to be needed:

  • Evidence of conversations you have had with your partner during your relationship (phone logs, emails, chat logs, texts, Skype sessions, etc)
  • Photos of you together
  • Tickets from traveling to see, or with each other
  • Tickets from events you attended together
  • Statements from shared bank accounts
  • Receipts from meals together
  • Receipts from gifts you have bought each other

Ancestry Visa

  • Passport
  • Proof you have enough money to support yourself in the UK
  • Proof and result of Tuberculosis screening
  • Birth certificate
  • The birth certificate of the parent and grandparent forming the basis of your application.
  • The marriage certificates of your grandparents (if applicable)
  • Evidence that you’re planning to work in the UK

Dependant children

  • Applicant’s passport
  • In colour photo for a UK visa
  • Original birth certificate
  • Proof of Tuberculosis screening
  • Previous passports
  • Proof of income to show how the dependant will be supported whilst in the UK

Dependant adults

  • Medical evidence showing a physical or mental condition that prohibits them from completing everyday tasks. .
  • Evidence which shows they cannot get this care in their home country
  • Evidence to show the UK sponsor is able to provide requisite care, such as bank statements or proof of stable income.
  • Proof that the UK sponsor is either British or settled in the UK. Family Visit Visas
  • A valid travel document (eg. passport)
  • Proof you have funds to support yourself (eg. bank statements, employment details)
  • Proof of a credible reason to return to the UK once your visa has expired. (eg. an existing job, study, partnership, family connections)

EEA Family Permit 

  • passport
  • Proof of your relationship to your EEA family member (e.g a birth certificate)
  • Proof that you have enough funds to support yourself  without the need for public funds
Truth Legal team photo

Make An Enquiry

Contact the Truth Legal team today.

"*" indicates required fields