There is no set definition of a ‘family visa’. There are a number of categories to choose from, so it is important to apply for one that would be best suited to your situation. You can apply for:

  • Spouse, unmarried partner, and civil partner visa
  • Ancestry Visa
  • Dependant children
  • Dependant adults
  • Family Visit Visas
  • EEA Family Permit

If you are unsure the visa that would best suit your circumstances, Truth Legal can help advise and guide you towards the right option.
What type of visa is right for me?

The right visa for you will depend on your personal circumstances. To be able to apply for a specific visa you will need to fulfil certain criteria set out by the Home Office.

Spouse, unmarried partner, and civil partner visa

There are three different kinds of ‘partner visa’ that you can apply for and each has their own requirements.

  • UK Fiancé Visas/Proposed Civil Partner Visas: if want to join their British fiancé or settled partner before marrying in the UK.
  • Spouse Visas: if you are already married to someone with British citizenship or settled status in the UK
  • Civil Partnership Visas: for civil partners of a British citizen or settled person in the UK
  • Unmarried Partner Visas: if you want to join a British or settled long-term partner in the UK

Ancestry Visa

For an ancestry visa, you must be:

  • Over the age of 17
  • A Commonwealth citizen
  • Able to prove a genuine relationship to a UK grandparent
  • Planning to work in the UK
  • Applying from outside the UK

Dependant children

A dependant can be any of the following:

  • Your wife, husband, civil partner, or long-term (two years or more) unmarried partner
  • Your child under the age of 18
  • Your child over the age of 18 (if they are already living in the UK as your dependant). This applies at the time of applying for a visa extension after the expiry of your initial visa. For example, if you have been living with a visa holder in the UK and during this time you have turned 18.

Dependant adults

A dependant adult visa can be complex, and there are a number of elements you will need to prove in order for your application to be successful. You must prove that:

  • The individual in question needs care and help to complete everyday tasks, including personal and household tasks because of disability, illness, or age;
  • The individual is unable to receive this care in the country you live in because it is either unavailable or unaffordable
  • As the person supporting the dependant adult in the UK, you can support, care for, and accommodate the individual for at least five years without claiming public funds
  • The dependant adult is over the age of 18

Family Visit Visas

You must be the relative of an individual currently residing in the UK or with settled status. This is a temporary visa and you are not permitted to work or conduct business, and you must leave once this visa has expired.

EEA Family Permit

You must be a relative, either close or extended, of an EEA national currently residing in the UK. This includes:

  • Mothers
  • Fathers
  • Sisters
  • Brothers
  • Aunts
  • Uncles
  • Cousins
  • Nieces
  • Nephews
Truth Legal team photo

Make An Enquiry

Contact the Truth Legal team today.

"*" indicates required fields